The word “doula” derives from the Greek word originally meaning “a woman who serves.”
A doula is a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional, and informational support to expectant mothers before, during, and after birth. A doula may also provide emotional and practical support during the postpartum period. For more information about how I practice as a doula check out my services.
- A Birth Doula:
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience
- Allows the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level
Still Wondering Why You Should hire a Doula?
Check out just a few of the articles found in prestigious academic journals that highlight the benefits of hiring a doula, including: Reduced chance of C-section, medical intervention, and even pre-term labor; Decreased labor time; Decrease in Post-partum depression; Better infant mental health; Increased ease of breastfeeding; Better emotional intimacy between mother and child; Significant decrease in the cost of birth; and SO MUCH MORE!